Sunday, January 31, 2016

FO: Frosting Hat

I work at an awesome education-based nonprofit called BUILD and for some reason the people at our National Program Team have a real thing for rubber duckies.  As such, we all have several rubber ducks on our desks and scattered around the office that we have managed to acquire from the NPT.  They are all those cute rubber duckies where the ducks are dressed up as something.  So, this Halloween we decided as an office that we would each pick a duck and dress up as the same thing as our duck.  Cute idea, huh?


I got a duck that is either a cupcake or an ice cream sundae, not really sure?  Anyway, I improvised a knitting pattern to make his frosting-like head.  Then I did a pompom on top for the cherry and sewed on some pretty blue beads for the sequins. (Which took forever!!)

For the hat, I held two strands of white worsted weight yarn together and CO 72 stitches, did some ribbing, then alternated 3 rows stockinette and 5 rows reverse stockinette to make the layered look.  I did some trial & error swatches until I finally found an acceptable stitch combination for that.  To do the decreases I just looked at a hat pattern I hat laying around and modified those decreases to work with my stitch count and work in my pattern.  Should have taken notes on that I suppose.  Sorry!

p.s. To make the pompom I used my new pompom maker for the first time.  It was super cheap and I let's just say that I got what I paid for....  but it more or less got the job done.




Saturday, January 30, 2016

FO: Mommy Daughter Head Huggers

I've been trying to cull my stash lately and one of the yarns I always encounter when I sort it is my Brown Sheep Lambs Pride Bulky leftovers from my Head Hugger earwarmer.  There really wasn't enough of this yarn to make anything, except if I made another Head Hugger and switched the contrasting and main colors... but who needs two Head Huggers?

Enter: Christmas 2015, when I decided to only give handmade gifts.  The whole point of that idea was to save money, so it made sense to stash dive for the materials.  I decided to finally knit that second Head Hugger for my sister in law in Utah.  After I finished, I thought it would be super cute to make matching ones for her two daughters.  I didn't want to make those out of the 100% wool because it is a little bulky, but after another stash dive, I found acrylic yarns in the same colors.  Victory!




I modified the Head Hugger pattern to make a smaller version for my 5 year-old niece and I did a simple hat for the baby but used the Head Hugger flower decorations to make it coordinate.  Sadly, baby's head was much bigger than I imagined and the hat doesn't fit her...  but... I tried.  That counts for something.

Details on all three of these FOs are on Ravelry: Head Hugger, Little Head Hugger, Baby Hat.  I won't recount them here, since that would take forever!