FO: Christmas Socks

I'm super excited about my latest pair of socks!  Aren't they gorgeous?  I really wish I had finished them in time for Christmas, but now I have them ready for next year.


The reason I love these socks so much is the fabulous afterthought heel that doesn't interrupt the stripe pattern on the sock.  I love working with self-striping yarn, but I have always hated how it gets messed up at the heel and gusset of the sock.  I've seen afterthought heels done in some Craftsy classes, but I never thought it would be for me.  I was wrong!  I'm hooked.

This particular heel is a little scary because instead of using waste yarn to set up the heel opening when you are knitting the sock, you knit the whole sock and then go back and snip a hole in it where you want your heel.  So cool!


After you snip the stitch, you just unravel and pick up the stitches from there!


This afterthought heel is worked exactly the same as the toe of the sock.  No short rows!  Yay!  And it fits like a glove.  Can't wait until next Christmas!

yarn details
Knit Picks Felici in Jingle
Fingering Weight
Dye Lot 27940
75% Superwash Merino Wool, 25% Nylon
Machine wash/Tumble dry low
$5.49 per 50 g /218 yd ball

project details
pattern:" A Sock Surgeon's Afterthought Heel" by Emily B. Miller; available as a free Ravelry download!  And it has an accompanying YouTube video.
needles: size 2 wood dpns
gauge: 32 stitches 44 rows over 4'' in stockinette
yarn used: 324.8 yards - about 75% of each ball
size knit: CO 64 stitches
finished size: bottom of heel to top of sock - 9.5''; back of heel to tip of toe: 9.5''; circumference: 8''
duration: October 11, 2015 - February 28, 2015

Labels: , , , ,