FO: Toleware Hat

Yes, I already have a million hats, but when I saw this simple hat with the cute embroidery on Ravelry, I knew I had to make one more!  But, to be totally honest, this project was a little disappointing for me.  I thought it was going to be cabled, but it turns out that it is sort of just a mock cable - that's fine, it's just not what I was expecting - it wasn't as challenging of a knit as I would have liked.


Also, the pattern instructions for the embroidery weren't what I needed and I couldn't get mine to look like the sample.  After several tries, I just ripped it out and did my own thing.  I was willing to pay $6 for this pattern because I wanted those embroidery instructions, so it was kind of sad that they were lacking (I thought there was going to be a sketch or very detailed instructions telling you exactly where to do the embroidery or something, but it was just very generic instructions telling you how to do a lazy daisy and a french knot).

You can see the sample hat on the left, and what I was able to pull off on the right:



On the positive side, I will say, this pattern has the most gorgeous instructions I have seen!  It has the most darling illustrations!  I also thought the decreasing for the crown was really well done.  Sometimes ribbed hats get all funky when you decrease, but she did a nice job planning it all out.


So, there you have it. In the end it's a very cute hat and a nice pattern, it just wasn't what I expected.

yarn details
Knit Picks Swish Worsted in Black
dye lot 146055
worsted weight
100% Merino (superwash)
machine wash cold/gentle, lay flat to dry
110 yrds/ 50 gram ball @ $4.69 each

scraps of pink and green yarn for embroidery

project details
pattern: "Toleware Hat" by Kristin Spurkland, $6 available on Ravelry (includes pattern for matching fingerless mitts)
needles: size 8 nickle plated circs (done in a pseudo magic loop style)
gauge: ??
yarn used: 130 yards (1.18 balls)
duration: February 22, 2015 - August 21, 2015 (was a fairly quick knit, I just took a long break from it when it was no longer hat weather)

Labels: , ,