Photography Do-Over

My pictures on this blog vary from sucky to ok to pretty nice...  I have yet to take anything super great, but, in my defense, I really don't try very hard.  Anyway, I recently signed up for (yet another) Craftsy class, Shoot It, to learn how to take great pictures of my finished knits (yes, they teach a class entirely focused on how to take pictures of your knitting!  Love Craftsy!).

I decided to go back through and pick out my worst FO picture ever and try to redo it.  A quick glance through my gallery revealed that is was easily this pic of my red Classy Slip Up Socks:


Not only did I not take a few extra seconds to stretch these over a sock-blocker for the picture, but I didn't even bother to center them on the table so I could get an even crop without the ledge of the table showing.  This was an incredibly lazy attempt to take a FO picture!  .... and, here is my do-over of that shoot:



I would say the one of the left falls under the pretty nice category and the one of the right is just okay. It could have been nicer, but I didn't have a model, so it modeled it myself using a tripod and the self-timer on my camera... so focus was an issue.  Then I tried to cover up the fact that part of it was out of focus in post-processing by making all the edges look blurry, to at least make it symmetrical.  So, that's what's going on there.

Next time, I'd love to try shooting something with a nice background, instead of all white.  It would also be super helpful to have a model, but, since I have no friends, that's kind of a tall order.

Labels: , ,