Knit Picks Brava in Eggplant and Black
Dye Lot 6072 (for both)
machine wash/tumble dry low
100 grams/218 yds @ $2.99 each
pattern: CO 66 stiches... winged it from there.
needles: size 9
gauge: I'm sure I wrote it down somewhere... but where?
yarn used: 268 yards (1.22 balls) of Eggplant and 618 yards (2.82 balls) of black
finished size: would you know, I forgot to measure it?
duration: September 30, 2012 - March 15, 2013
- This is knit in the round, as a giant tube, 66 stitches in total. I knit it magic-loop style with 33 stitches on either side.
- I charted the pattern using excel. Basically, I got my gauge, then adjusted the grid on my excel spreadsheet to match the gauge. Then I typed up "smokinskip" in photoshop, saved it as a jpg, then set it as the background to my excel spreadsheet. Then I went in and colored in the appropriate cells. There is probably an easier way to do this, but I couldn't think of one...
- Because I knit this in the round, I couldn't really do proper intarsia, so I tried some techniques on how to knit intarsia in the round, but that didn't work out. Also, I gave up on true intarsia and started stranding in the back. Finally, I decided the only way to really do this was to start a new strand of the purple yarn at the beginning of each row and snip it at the end, but I wasn't willing to weave in that many ends, so I used the technique of weaving in the ends while I knitted, which produced a slightly bumpy texture to the fabric, which I'm not very happy with, but Scott didn't seem to care. In the end, it looks great from far away, but not super great up close.
- Lots of things I would have done differently if I tried this project again. But... I won't be doing that any time soon...