Thursday, February 23, 2012

Sheldino is back!

Once upon a time I decided to knit 3 Sheldon turtles for my niece and nephews: Sheldon, Sheldina, and Sheldino. Sheldon is green, Sheldina is pink, and Sheldino is blue and was supposed to be smaller than the other two since he was for the baby (not such a baby any more...) The Sheldino project involved a lot of complicated knitting math to resize the pattern, so, naturally, it got shelved for four years.

Anyway, I've been feeling a little sad lately and I decided yesterday that it might cheer me up to knit a little friend, so I figured it was time to resurrect Sheldino. I was still in no mood to deal with the math, so I just frogged what I had and started over using the original pattern dimensions. I am using smaller needles, so hopefully he will come out a little smaller than the others. If not, no loss. At least he will exist.

I'm not sure if I'll still be giving these to my nephews and niece, as I've become rather attached to Sheldon and Sheldina sitting on my shelf for the past few years. Plus, there is now a second niece, which would seem to demand a fourth turtle. Who knows what the future will hold for this little turtle family??

FO: Knit Cactus

Check it out: I knit a cactus!


yarn details
Lion Brand Vanna's Choice in Olive
100% acrylic
worsted weight

Red Heart Sport Solid in Hot Pink
100% acrylic
sport weight

findings

2.5 inch diameter terracotta pot
polyfill stuffing

project details

pattern: based on Allison Krones's "Knit Cactus" pattern, available for free at http://daybydaywithme.blogspot.com/2011/01/knit-cactus.html, flower pattern adapted from the flowers on the Head Huggers earband by MK Carroll in Stitch 'n Bitch Nation.
needles: size 5 for cactus, size 2 for flower
duration: about half a day of knitting (February 12, 2012)
yarn used: minimal amounts

notes
  • CO 48 stitches, proceed in k1p2 ribbing for about 3'', then decrease according to Krones's pattern.
  • I skipped the step of gluing the cactus into the pot - it's just hanging out in there for now.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I've got a BO problem....

I finished up my first diagonal lace sock and I've got to say, I'm really unhappy with the bind off - it is way too tight! I guess that's the danger of knitting toe-up: you have to bind off on the widest part of the leg. I originally planned to do a tubular BO. In fact, I originally did a tubular BO, but it looked really funky so I unpicked the whole thing (not a fun task!) and I decided I would be fine with a standard BO if I did it really loosely. Well, I did it as loose as I could and even used a size 5 needle (4 sizes up from my project needles), but it is still really tight on my leg and tight when I pull the sock on. This is disappointing since I was really loving these socks. I probably won't knit any more toe-up socks in the future because of this issue. If I do, I will be sure to do the tubular BO, even if it looks funny!

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What's the deal with the Hexacomb Cardigan? ...and Tess?

Frequent (and infrequent) visitors of this blog may have noticed the Hexacomb Cardigan project that has been hanging out in my "works in progress" side bar for over three years... at 95% completion. In case you have ever asked yourself, "what's the deal with that?", here's the deal: all it needs is to be blocked and have the buttons sewn on. Why haven't I done it yet? I have no idea. I just can't seem to get inspired to sit down and actually do it. I took it out about two weeks ago and I was honestly going to finish it up, but I got distracted by a pair of socks instead. The cardigan has 3/4 length sleeves so I can't wear it any time soon anyway and the socks seemed so much more appealing. My goal is to finish it by Spring.

In related news, the Tess cardigan has been in my works in progress bar for almost as long as the Hexacomb Cardigan hanging out at 80% complete. The hold up there is also button-related. All I have left to knit there is the button band, but I don't have the buttons yet so I don't know how wide to make the band. I need to haul my butt down to Windsor Button to pick out some really pretty ones and get working on that. However, it also features 3/4 length sleeves, so, again, it's hard to get inspired to work on it. Also, after the button band is knitted there will still be finished to do, which I despise. I'll also make it my goal to finish it up by Spring, but I think we all know that's unlikely to happen. Really, it's more of a fall sweater...

Chugging Along on My Toe-Up Socks

I am making quick progress on my toe-up diagonal lace socks. This weekend I did the gusset and heel, so now I am just knitting the leg of the sock - easy peasy. I thought working the heel "backwards" was going to be tricky, but actually it was easier than knitting it top-down because there were no stitches to pick up along the heel flap. Nice!

Here is a pic of my progress so far. Hopefully I will be able to finish this up and knit the second sock just as quickly! I can't wait to get these pretty babies on my feet!

Thursday, February 2, 2012

pics of my latest socks

As promised, here is a pic of the toe-up diagonal lace socks that I'm working on: