FO: Fan Shawl

My mother recently moved to Southern California where a lot of the time the days are warm but the nights are a bit chilly.  She asked me to make her a fairly heavy weight shawl that she could throw over her shoulders when she was out on chilly nights, so I made her this small lace fan shawl out of DK weight yarn:

The neat thing is that the shawl is a modular knit, which means that I knit each little fan separately and just picked up stitches along the side of a finished fan to start a new one.  It was kind of cool, though this method produces TONS of ends that need to be woven in!  (Which we all know is my favorite thing to do!)

Here is a close-up of the lace pattern because you can't see it very well in the pic above.  It kind of looks like crochet, no?


All said, it's definitely not my favorite thing I have ever knit, but I think it turned out okay.  I would have preferred a lacier look, but my mom specifically requested something made out of a heavier yarn, so her wish was my command.

And now the details:

yarn details
Lion Brand Microspun in Ebony
dye lot 66577
100% Microfiber Acrylic
machine wash cold, tumble dry at any temp, do not iron
70 g / 168 yds @ $4.99 per ball

project details
pattern: "Panda Silk DK Fan Shawl" by Gail Tanquary, free pattern available here.
needles: size 6 nickle plated circs
gauge: I am opposed to measuring gauge on a project such as this...
yarn used: 3.67 skeins (about 617 yards)
finished size: apprx 56'' wide and 17'' at the longest point of the triangle
duration: February 27 - July 7, 2012
cost: about $18

notes

Labels: , , ,