It's Smokin'!

I began my brother's "smokinskip" scarf yesterday and I'm already a good nine inches into it.... yay!  Here's a pic, taken around the five inch mark.  I'm not going to start the wording until I'm 10'' in, so I decided to add two purple stripes to the end for decoration.  It's a little hard to see the contrast between the black and purple in this pic, but it's easier to see in person.


You can see my "S" chart in the pic... you have NO IDEA how long it took me to chart this thing out!  I tried using the intarsia chart generators out there, but I just couldn't get them to do what I wanted them to, so I ended up making the chart in excel.  Maybe I'll do a tutorial some day on how to do that.... it's not a very fun process, but it's a good thing to know, I suppose.

In other news, I've been doing some research on how to do intarsia in the round and I think I'm up for the challenge.  (I was originally just going to strand the yarn all the way around the scarf to knit it fair-isle style... but that's just so obviously a bad idea that I know I need to try something else).

p.s.  I can already tell that I bought WAY too much yarn for this thing and I'm dreading the thought of adding more yarn to my completely out of control stash (138 balls and counting...).  *sigh*

Labels: , ,