Darn it, Mom!

My mom has a bad habit of messing up the socks I knit her. I swear: one more hole and she's not getting any more!! (just kidding....) The last time she got holes in her socks I tried to darn them up but it was just a big mess so I decided it would be easier to just knit her a new pair of socks. Then the new pair came back with holes in them too! I decided to face my fear of darning again with slightly better results. I still couldn't manage a duplicate stitch invisible darning job, but I was able to construct a patch over the hole using this method.

Here is the hole:


And here is the patch job:


It really doesn't look too bad. In fact, I think with the variegated yarn it blends in so well that you really wouldn't know the patch was there unless you were looking for it. The only bad thing is that it added an extra layer of thickness to the areas where the holes were (there was one on the heel and one near the toe). I'm not sure how this will affect how comfortable the socks are. I'm particularly worried that the one on the heel is going to be bothersome. I guess I'll give them back to mom and she can report back. In the mean time, I'm going to get working on making her a replacement pair because I know she'll need one soon enough....

Oh, and by the way, what the hell is this white fuzz all over the socks?? Is this some sort of weird acrylic yarn thing? I've never seen anything like it before. The next pair of socks I make her will be wool and if she throws them in the dryer I will kill her!

Labels: ,