Thursday, June 30, 2011

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

FO: Monkey Socks

I love everything about these socks! The pattern is easy and gorgeous (and free!). The yarn has so many pretty colors, it's easy-care, cheap, and all around was great to work with. One of my favorite things about these socks is that the pattern leaves some eyelets that let your feet breathe a bit on warmer days, but it still feels like a nice solid sock, not overly lacey.
Pictures:



yarn details
Berroco Comfort Sock in Southland (1813)
Fingering Weight
50% super fine nylon, 50% super fine acrylic
dye lot V1264
Machine wash on gentle cycle in warm water. No bleach. Tumble dry on low heat. Do not over dry. Do not iron.
$8.99 per 100 g /447 yd ball



project details
pattern: "Monkey" by Cookie A, free in the Winter 2006 issue of Knitty at http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTmonkey.html
size: women's medium
needles: size 2 bamboo dpns
yarn used: 0.67 skeins (about 300 yards)
time span: November 2010 - January 2011

notes

Saturday, June 25, 2011

New Project!

The brother and sister not-in-law are having a baby which means only one thing... baby blanket! Yay! I have been procrastinating a bit on getting started with it, but I bought the yarn on Thursday and did some swatching and casted on this morning. The blanket has a cute heart lace pattern and then a lacey border that is knit separately and sewn on at the end. I originally casted on with a cable cast on because I thought it would be good to have a little stretch, but then I was afraid that such a sturdy cast on would make it hard to sew the edging on later so I started over with a long-tail cast on and I think that's going to be a lot easier to sew. I have a bad habit of making my long tail cast ons too tight but I did my best here to make it nice and loose.

Anyway, without further ado, here is my swatch:

p.s. I'm proud of myself for swatching! I even tried two needle sizes and decided to go with a larger needle than the pattern suggests.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Socks with "Character"

I have been working on my jaywalker II socks a little this weekend (which means I've made a lot of progress since they knit up so fast!) Anyway, last night I noticed I twisted two stitches the wrong way on row 15-ish and I'm now to row 100-ish. Damn! And I did the same thing to one stitch on row 50-ish! Double damn! The mistakes are in the double decrease column in the pattern so there is no sane way to drop the stitches down to fix it, so my only option is to unravel... and HELL NO to that idea!!

I'm really mad at myself that I didn't notice the mistake sooner, but I guess mistakes like that are just part of the nature of the knitting beast. Some people say that a little twisted stitch is part of the charm of a hand knit item, which I guess is true. Whenever I used to make mistakes in my crafty ventures when I was a kid my mom would always say "that's okay honey, it gives it some character." So, I guess I'm stuck with socks with a charming character, ha ha.

I just need to move on and promise to be more diligent in the future to periodically review my project for mistakes. I'm usually pretty good at catching them and I'm proud to say that I usually have the discipline to unravel to fix the problem, but watching out for mistakes is kind of hard with this pattern because it's so fun to knit and it zooms right along and I really feel like, in this situation, unraveling half a sock is just not worth it. C'est la vie.