Socks with "Character"

I have been working on my jaywalker II socks a little this weekend (which means I've made a lot of progress since they knit up so fast!) Anyway, last night I noticed I twisted two stitches the wrong way on row 15-ish and I'm now to row 100-ish. Damn! And I did the same thing to one stitch on row 50-ish! Double damn! The mistakes are in the double decrease column in the pattern so there is no sane way to drop the stitches down to fix it, so my only option is to unravel... and HELL NO to that idea!!

I'm really mad at myself that I didn't notice the mistake sooner, but I guess mistakes like that are just part of the nature of the knitting beast. Some people say that a little twisted stitch is part of the charm of a hand knit item, which I guess is true. Whenever I used to make mistakes in my crafty ventures when I was a kid my mom would always say "that's okay honey, it gives it some character." So, I guess I'm stuck with socks with a charming character, ha ha.

I just need to move on and promise to be more diligent in the future to periodically review my project for mistakes. I'm usually pretty good at catching them and I'm proud to say that I usually have the discipline to unravel to fix the problem, but watching out for mistakes is kind of hard with this pattern because it's so fun to knit and it zooms right along and I really feel like, in this situation, unraveling half a sock is just not worth it. C'est la vie.

Labels: ,