decreasing and podcasts

I used to listen to Kelly Petkun's Knit Picks podcasts all the time while I worked out, but since I sort of dropped the ball on working out over the last 10 months or so (bad!) I haven't really listened to them. I'm not sure if she actually does them anymore because the last one my computer downloaded was in August. Anyhow, today I finally listened to one while I was waiting for the train: episode 21, decreasing.

She had a lot of cool ideas about how to place decreases in your pieces, so I thought I'd make a note of it here so I can go back to the podcast next time I'm in a decreasing bind. One thing I especially want to note is that she suggests making a flatter SSK by slipping the first stitch knitwise and the second purlwise (vs. the traditional instruction of switching them both knitwise.) I'm pretty sure I've heard this before, but I always seem to forget it. Anyway, I'm never really happy with the look of SSK decreases, so I've got to try this. I'm using them in my cashmere arm cosies, so I'll do it next time I pick that up. I still keep meaning to make myself an increase/decrease play swatch to get a feel for all the different methods. One of these days....

p.s. visited iTunes later tonight - it turns out they are still podcasting, but apparently iTunes hasn't been downloading them for me.

Labels: , , ,