Checking in on the Lace Ribbon Scarf

I've been working intermittently on the lace ribbon scarf and I'm almost done. It's a little difficult to tell because I'd like to make it the 60'' length recommended in the pattern, but I'm having a hard time calculating for myself exactly how much this thing is going to stretch when I block it. Of course, If I had been a proper knitter and (a) knit a proper swatch and (b) blocked it, then I would know. But of course I didn't. It's a scarf for crying out loud!

It looks like I'm not going to need the third skein of yarn, which is sort of irritating since I already balled it and everything -- plus, it's one more single skein in my stash that will remain unused for ages, making me feel guilty about all the money I have poured into yarn that I don't use. The thing is, I buy yarn when I really love it and usually when it's on sale but since I don't have a project in mind, I never know how much to buy so when I find a project that would be perfect for the yarn I inevitably either don't have enough, or I actually had the good conscious to buy enough of the yarn to knit something large and the project I'm thinking of won't use it all, and I don't want to break up the collection. I'm just in a cranky mood because I can't afford to buy new yarn so I have to pick projects based on what I've got in my stash instead of what I feel like knitting. Also, almost my entire stash is composed of worsted weight yarn and far more acrylic than I wish, so I'm seriously limited. I've recently been told that the stories I tell are too long, so I suppose I should summarize the point of this whole paragraph: I wish I had calculated the yardage I would need for this project better because my stash is too large and I am broke.

I bet the scarf will be finished this week... and now back to my homework.

Labels: ,