Vintage Knits Galore!

One of our family friends sent me a big box full of vintage knitting magazines! Check it out:


They span from the late 60s to the 70s with a little 80s in there too... I spent the whole day today pouring over them and took a ton of pics of the stuff that I liked and the stuff that was too silly for words. I'll have to share them with you periodically.

For now, here are some selections from McCall’s Needlework & Crafts, Fall-Winter 1968-69:

These shifts are really hot - my favorites are the one on the right in the first picture (knit with metallic yarn!) and the one on the left in bottom picture (with the bobble stitches). Stacey and Clinton from What Not to Wear would say there is sheen and texture, so go right ahead... hopefully! Ha ha. I haven't read the patterns yet but I pray to god they are knit in the round. If not, I guess I will have to convert them if I decide to give them a try.


I just don't know if I can pull off a knit suit. Stephanie Japel has one in Fitted Knits, so I guess they're not totally a thing of the past, but I just don't think I could ever wear it with a straight face. However, I really love the jacket on this blue suit. The placement of the buttons is really cool and the tie at the waist gives it a good shape. If I knit it out of 100% wool I bet it would be warm enough to work as a fall/spring coat. (I didn't check to see if those stockings are knit as well - those are totally sex on a stick, baby!)


Thanks Miriam!

Labels: