FO: My First Socks

I am so proud of myself for finally finishing my first pair of socks! They fit like a glove and since they are made out of heavy yarn they are SO WARM. Really, knitting socks wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I think the hardest part was picking up the stitches from the heel flap to start the gusset. In retrospect, I'm not too thrilled with the colors, but I still love my socks!


yarn details
Lion Brand Wool-Ease Heathers in Blue Mist and Natural Heather.
Worsted Weight
80% acrylic, 20% wool
Washing Instructions: machine wash warm medium cycle, tumble dry low, may be dry cleaned, do not bleach, do not iron
cost: $2.49/ 197 yard ball


project details
pattern: "Starter Stockinette" by Betsy Lee McCarthy in Knit Socks.
gauge: 25 st x 35 rows over 4"
needles: size 3 dpns (set of 5, bamboo)
hours: many! (but the majority was mindless)
total cost: $3.00

notes
- I got some ladders on the leg of my first sock, but I did much better on the second one. You just need to pull really tight between the needles! (I didn't try shifting the stitches around on the needles, which is also supposed to help.)
- These didn't take as much yarn as the pattern calls for. I used almost all of one skein of the blue Wool-Ease, very little of the Natural Heather.
- YARN WOES: The Natural Heather was a stash yarn, and it was pretty cool to use it up this way for the heel and toe. I had some of the Blue Mist as stash yarn as well and so I chose that color because I thought I would need more than one skein and I'm trying to shrink the stash, even though it wouldn't have been my first choice. Now I wish I had chosen the color I actually wanted since I didn't need to dip in the stash anyway. (p.s. I love the color of the blue yarn, I just don't like it for socks, for some reason.)

Labels: , ,