FO: Amanda's Squatty Sidekick

Here it is: my first felted object! I've been wanting to try felting for a long time, but I've been hesitant to do it since it brings back horrible memories of the time I shrunk my favorite sweater. As the summer has come to a close I've been thinking I should really felt now while I have access to my mom's washing machine, so when this cute bag showed up in my Knitting Daily email, it was the perfect opportunity to give this a try.

yarn details
Paton's Classic Wool in color 238 Paprika (leftover from Mrs. Darcy)
100% merino wool
worsted weight
100 grams/223 yds @ $4.00 each (on sale: 2 for $8!!)

findings:
vintage button from my grandmother's stash, free!

pattern details
pattern: "Amanda's Squatty Sidekick;" available free from Knitting Daily: http://www.knittingdaily.com/freepatterns/felted_items/45-1.html
needles: 10.5 circulars, (large size)
yarn used: ?
time: knit up in two evenings, felted for maybe an hour?
total cost: $4

notes...
-I had some trouble picking up the stitches from the bottom of the bag when I started knitting the sides and ended up with a "holey" seam on one side of the bag (the front, of course). I wasn't too concerned because I was felting it anyway, but that area ended up felting into a seam on the bag instead of being totally smooth. Next time I do this I'll be more careful.
- Also, didn't pay a whole lot of attention attaching the i-cord for the button hole and ended up with it slightly off center, but the button covers it up.
- Felted for a long time - maybe 3 agitation cycles? I think the front load washer slowed it down; took about a day to dry.
- NOTE TO SELF: next time, make note of percentage of shrinkage with this yarn, to perhaps modify later to make larger hobo version of this bag.

Labels: , ,