Casting On: Sheldina

Started work on the army of Sheldons last night. The first up is "Sheldina," a pink girly version of Sheldon; but she's not his girlfriend. She is an independent modern turtle-woman. I'm using KnitPicks Shine Sport (one of my absolute favorite yarns!) in blush and orchid.

So, the cast on for Sheldon is pretty difficult. You start with six stitches divided onto 3 dpns. It is pretty much hell to join in the round without twisting. I had to start over 4 times. But now I've got it started with a nice tight join and a minimal gap at the start point and I'm on row 13 or something. And, might I say, I have no idea how you are supposed to put a stitch marker on dpns without it falling off. I usually just count the needles carefully the first handful of rows, then I'll place my marker and slip over a stitch from the previous needle. That works well, but it can be a little confusing when I put away the knitting then pick it up next time because I always forget what to do with that extra stitch.

Labels: ,