FO: Mrs. Darcy Cardigan

Last week I finished up my Mrs. Darcy cardigan, designed by the lovely and talented indieknitter. I knitted this project in a knit-a-long on Craftster and it was really fun! We were all knitting this project at the same time so we got to share tips and keep each other moving along. It's 100% wool and very warm. I'm not exactly sure what I was thinking making a wool sweater in Spring, but it sure was a fun project!
yarn details
Paton's Classic Wool in color 238 Paprika
100% merino wool
worsted weight
handwash and dry flat
100 grams/223 yds @ $4.00 each (on sale: 2 for $8!!)

findings:
"antiqued" flower buttons; $1.99 at Joann's

pattern details
pattern: "Mrs. Darcy Cardigan" by indieknitter; free pattern available here: http://indieknits.wordpress.com/patterns-2/patterns/
gauge: 16 stitched and 21 rows over 4''
needles: size 9 straights (plastic needles!)
yarn used: just over 3 skeins (maybe 700 yds... this includes the yarn I wasted to re-knit a lot of the goofy short sleeve)
time: oh, maybe 30-40 hours, including the hours and hours of seaming, and then reseaming to fix my goof
total cost: $13-ish

notes...
- my gauge was a little smaller than the pattern called for, but it all turned out okay; to get the recommended gauge I would have had to go up to about 10.5 needles and that made the fabric a lot more airy than I wanted it; I probably should have substituted a thicker yarn - I think the Paton's wool is on the lighter side of worsted weight.
- the first time I made it I goofed on the sleeve, ha ha.
- my twisted rib on the front doesn't quite match up to the back - if I knit it again I need to double check the pattern/my counting to make sure they are the same; or even better - tweak it all to knit in the round!
- first time I've used this yarn - it turned out really soft and was nice to work with; my new #1 favorite thing about working with wool: spit splicing! Yay!

Labels: , ,